Seasons

 "The day you plant the seed is not the day you eat the fruit."


Being the type of creature than can adapt to virtually any environment, a human is a remarkable species.  Time has shown that we can not only withstand the elements, but transform them for our favor.  Thus, we have created farms, roads and homes capable of sustaining our fragile lives in essentially every known corner of this perfectly off-tilt planet.  However, time has written so much of our human story so long ago and much of this world has long since been established in the image of people.  We have always labeled this as progress, but the jury is still out to decide the fate of our planet and our species, yet for now we can only speculate.

Like so many of us, I was born into the well-known yet misunderstood American narrative of the middle class.  Food was provided for me from a grocery store, which changed it's name six times since I was born, each revealing just how long we've lived in this town (kind of like rings on a tree).  I never thought about where it came from or how strange it is that you can find perfectly fine red and green apples throughout the entirety of the year.  Fruit's ability to grow is sensitive to the seasons, yet we have outsmarted them and found ways to sneak in fruit from other states fooling the consumer to think we live in a perfect place.  There are no bruises on any of the fruits found at local chains and each have a sticker reminding you that it is indeed that type of fruit, you can even eat said sticker.

The reality is that we were likely born into a time that is wildly more abundant than any other imaginable part of history.  While that previous statement rings true for only a fraction of the world, this author recognizes his unprecedented amount of privilege he was born into.  However, all of us are accountable for the hefty tab we are accumulating from our stay at this planet's five star hotel and I believe our debt began long before we ever checked in.  So, it seems strange to me when I hold a perfect apple, or heck a pineapple, in my hand with no knowledge of its origin and I think I am starting to understand why.  I guess I just never realized how much I take for granted.

Seasons change.  Where I live, we are absolutely blessed with four seasons and even though we complain daily about each one as they occur, we do take pride in them and find ways to celebrate.  For some of us, maybe all of us, we have a favorite season that we quietly look forward to all year.  I'm getting excited just thinking about it and I'm struggling to find ways to preface my enthusiasm; I love the fall!  I love it so much and I'm not going to spoil the fun of summer by listing everything so great about the witchy time of year.  Transience is a river of life flowing and it should never be rushed, I can appreciate the hottest time of year for what it is (to some, an introvert's nightmare).  But it's coming and with it are coming some amazing changes for all of us, especially our team at Earth Berry Apothecary.  Just stay tuned on that one, I'm not allowed to spill the beans, but we've got this fall thing under control.  I sincerely think you're going to love the makeover that is coming to our company's process and we're just thankful to be a part of it.  I just want it to be known in our short time in this journey that we are grateful as we plant these seeds and we are creating our farm with humility.

Gratitude is the only language that should be spoken between humans and nature.

Earth Berry Apothecary



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nag Champa Cold Process Soap Review

Progress, The Growth of a Small Candle and Soap Business